Since 1898, we have helped customers complete more than 25,000 projects in 160 countries on all seven continents that have created jobs, grown economies, improved the resiliency of the world’s infrastructure, increased access to energy, resources, and vital services, and made the world a safer, cleaner place.
Differentiated by the quality of our people and our relentless drive to deliver the most successful outcomes, we align our capabilities to our customers’ objectives to create a lasting positive impact. We serve the infrastructure; Nuclear, Security & Environmental; Energy; Mining & Metals, and the Manufacturing and Technology markets. Our services span from initial planning and investment, through start-up and operations.
Core to Bechtel is our Vision, Values and Commitments. They are what we believe, what customers can expect, and how we deliver.
We are currently recruiting individuals for an initial assignment in the northwest of England where we are undertaking FEED services. Experience in nuclear sectors can be helpful, but we are equally interested in the ability of candidates to apply broader experiences in a new environment.
To achieve critical project success, individuals from Bechtel bring their experience and expertise to the role while working as part of an integrated team with our client and partners. We commit to supporting the client’s goals while promoting our values of fairness, diversity, inclusion, trust and collaboration guided by our Vision, Values and Covenants.
- Manages specialist consultant team to develop, integrate and implement all project-related licences and consents critical to the success of the project.
- Ensures that legislative requirements are properly evaluated and interpreted and that plans are in place to achieve and maintain compliance with all necessary licences and consents applicable to the assigned project.
- Provides technical assistance and supervisory direction to other project personnel and contractors on requirements for licencing and consents.
- Responsible for implementation and delivery of the Sustainability Management Programme on the project, aligned to the Bechtel and client policies and commitments including Net Zero ambitions.
- Provides technical oversight to and works directly with other project-level functional leads and the supply chain to assist them in integrating and/or addressing the applicable sustainability requirements in their work products and activities.
Qualifications and Skills
- Manages programme, plan and delivery for all required land use planning consents, environmental permitting and nuclear-specific licence applications required for construction and operation. Works with programme planners and project manager to ensure all consents timelines are embedded within the programme.
- Manages the preparation of a Consents Strategy and delivery of any Environmental Impact Assessments required as part of the land use consent process.
- Manages stakeholder engagement with all technical and regulatory interfaces as part of the licence and consenting, engaging colleagues as appropriate.
- Monitors compliance with consents throughout the project works to ensure the consents are complied with and discharged, including developing and managing a compliance management procedure and audit regime.
- Informs project teams of consents requirements and ensures they are incorporated into processes and procedures by subcontracts, engineering, and construction personnel.
- Acts as the main point of contact for the project on all matters relating to consents and sustainability and liaises with Urenco on their commitments and aspirations.
- Develop, implement, manage and monitor performance of the project sustainability management programme, and associated management plans e.g. stakeholder engagement plan, sustainability management plan.
- Develop, in collaboration with procurement, the approach to sustainable procurement for Bechtel and the supply chain.
- Track sustainability and consents metrics and report on performance, identifying trends which may trigger corrective action and knowledge sharing.
- Engage and promote collaboration with relevant stakeholders, including other contractors, external industry etc, to improve sustainability performance and consents compliance across the project, through sharing lessons learnt, identifying sustainable solutions and innovative ideas.
- Work with the Carbon Lead to promote understanding of both sustainability and carbon reduction and its relevance to each project level functional team so that climate change as well as other relevant sustainability issues such as biodiversity and social impact are considered throughout the project lifecycle including optioneering, design review, project assurance, execution planning, procurement.
- Establish sustainability and consents training requirements and develop and manage delivery of training.
- Coordinate regular communications on the project about sustainability activities, achievements and lessons learned – case studies, relevant social media etc.
- Provide technical support to site assessment studies, and project risk assessments.
- Maintain up-to-date working knowledge of relevant legislation and industry practice and provides input to GBU Sustainable Development Manager to update corporate strategy and local action plans.
- Relevant degree in town planning, environmental or sustainability related field.
- Advanced understanding of sustainability and environmental key topics and issues on complex infrastructure construction projects.
- Demonstrable experience in managing consenting activities on major schemes including experience managing delivery of environmental statements.
- Proven knowledge and experience in environmental or sustainability management in design stages of major schemes.
- Proven knowledge and experience leading on carbon reduction strategies.
- Proven knowledge and experience in sustainable procurement.
- Proven knowledge of UK land use planning policy.
- Demonstrable experience of managing a team and managing consultants and working with multidisciplinary teams on complex projects.
- Working knowledge of project and risk management processes and procedures.
- Advanced communication skills (oral & written) including negotiation and influencing skills and the ability to establish effective working relationships with a variety of people at different levels both internally and externally.
- Ability to organise and prioritise own and team members’ work demands, handle multiple complex tasks simultaneously, set and meet deadlines and follow-through within a fast-paced environment.
Bechtel is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity and expression, age, national origin, disability, citizenship status (except as authorized by law), protected veteran status, genetic information, and any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local law.
We’re creating a space where all people, including those with disabilities, can advance their careers and optimize their possibilities through a fair and inclusive workplace. If reasonable adjustments are needed to apply for an open position, please contact us to ensure we can provide an environment where each and every candidate can thrive: firstname.lastname@example.org.‘
Bechtel employees are required to be vaccinated for COVID-19 or show proof of a negative test result prior to accessing Bechtel sites/facilities to the extent required by applicable law or by customer requirements.