This is a 12 month Maternity Cover contract for a Sustainability Assistant leading on Agriculture. It is a mid-level role in an area that receives a lot of attention, not only from external stakeholders but also across the rest of the business. The role will be crucial in developing the strategy and initiatives to deliver against Aldi’s targets for farming, animal welfare and environmental impact in our supply chains. It is an exciting time to join the team, with a lot of activity planned for 2024.
If you’re a hardworking individual that’s ready to kick-start your career with an award-winning employer, apply to join #TeamAldi today!
- Work with the Agriculture Manager to:
- Support with overarching sustainability initiatives in agriculture, including projects, across the following areas:
- Pesticide usage
- Carbon footprinting
- Regenerative agriculture principles
- Develop and implement agriculture strategy for the Produce category.
- Work within the WRAP Water Roadmap and UK water projects relating to agriculture
- Understand and recommend improvements to our pesticides policy and reporting
- Supplier review of existing activity in carbon footprinting, biodiversity, regenerative agriculture, waste projects etc
- Carry out research of the market for competitor comparison, media trends, and NGO campaigns to inform strategy and policy development.
- Understand on farm carbon footprinting and how this can support wider business carbon reduction work to meet our 2040 Net Zero Carbon commitment.
- Work with Buying Teams and Suppliers to identify key activities to support the above and to answer any queries on policy and/or provide recommendations.
- Maintain regular contact with key external stakeholders for each topic (including consultants, industry groups, NGOs and Government bodies) to understand any emerging issues and how best to support farmers.
- Regular contact with the International Sustainability department and input into International Sustainability Working Groups on topics of responsibility.
- Co-ordinate feedback for specification systems and advise technical service providers (TSPs) on collection of relevant data.
- Co-ordinate policy updates.
- Work with the Communications and Marketing Teams to explore opportunities to promote the work that Aldi is doing in this area and update the website with latest agriculture/sustainability activity.
- Review of weekly Specialbuy leaflet for opportunities to promote what we are doing.
- Draft presentations and communication materials for each topic.
- Respond to external stakeholder queries, customer/NGO/government letters.
- Provide general support to the Agriculture Manager.
- A keen interest and passion in agriculture and sustainability.
- Excellent communication skills.
- The ability to build effective relationships with colleagues at all levels of the business.
- Good organisational skills with the ability to manage a varied workload, conflicting deadlines and multiple projects simultaneously.
- Desire to improve and simplify processes wherever possible.
- Detail oriented.
- Ability to be pro-active and work on own initiative, as part of a team and independently.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office, specifically Excel.
- Ability to investigate and analyse a challenge and offer a solution.
What You’ll get in Return
- Salary details £34,690 rising to £40,510
- Monday to Friday, 8am to 4:30pm, with the opportunity of 2 days a week remote working
- 5 weeks’ annual leave plus Bank Holidays
- In office flexi-time
- Full training provided
- Pension scheme
- Private employee medical insurance after 4 years
- Company sick pay scheme
- Company maternity, paternity and adoption leave pay after 2 years
- Long service rewards
- Access to MyBenefits, where you can find a wide range of benefits, including our bike to work scheme, shopping and cinema discounts, health cash plan, a FREE will, travel and discounted gym memberships, as well as a host of benefits to support your financial and wellbeing needs.
- Access to a free,24/7, confidential virtual GP service for all Aldi Colleagues and their children (under the age of 16)