Employment type: Full-time
Remote status: Hybrid Remote
Established in 1994, OCU Group is one of the fastest growing utility engineering contractors in the UK, with a long successful track record in delivering customer-focused civil engineering solutions.
Working directly with many of the country’s leading blue-chip power, water, telecoms, and rail clients, we are looking for the very best talent to join our growing team.
Throughout 2023, OCU Group has been experiencing a sustained period of growth and expansion. An exciting new opportunity has risen for a Head of Sustainability and Environment to join our business and lead the groups plans and vision to become a top leader in sustainability within our industry.
The purpose of the role will be to understand and raise the profile of environmental and sustainability issues and to drive appropriate improvement and actions plans. You will be required to promote the groups sustainability credentials through associated reporting and campaign communications, developing strategies and improvement across the group, this role is key for setting the direction, strategy for OCU Group and establishing the framework of felt ESG culture within the business to support the development of ‘best in class’ systems, process and culture within a utility organisation.
Based in Stockport who will be responsible for implementing, monitoring and working across the operational level to embed and work with the business as well a educate and mentor the business.
This is an exciting new opportunity for an experienced Head of Environmental and Sustainability looking for there next challenge.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- To provide leadership on implementing change for improving sustainability performance.
- Developing sustainability strategies and improvement.
- To provide direction, advice and support to the organisation to manage environmental and sustainability responsibilities effectively.
- To create an environmental sustainability vision that challenges the current culture.
- Conducting a full review of all aspects that impact upon the environment.
- Setting the environmental and sustainability strategy and objectives.
- Taking the lead on product sustainability and responsible sourcing.
- Implementing a consistent carbon footprint monitoring program.
- Supporting and guiding the business to further the integration of environmental and sustainability considerations.
- Take the lead on tracking and communicating our progress.
- Keep the business up to date with the latest environmental legislation and best practice.
- Providing appropriate training and mentoring for environmental sustainability systems and tools.
- Benchmarking company performance against internal and external measures to ensure compliance.
- Chartered membership of IEMA/ Associate or Practitioner Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment and working towards full/chartered membership.
- Degree level qualified in a relevant subject (Environmental Science, Sustainability etc).
Skills and Experience:
- A strong background in operating at a current head position level with a proven track record of delivery and implementing a strategy, ideally within a similar business in sustainability and environmental leadership & management.
- Passionate about sustainability, knows what good looks like.
- Extensive previous experience in deploying Environmental Management Systems and auditing of ISO14001.
- Excellent leadership skills, able to influence motivate and direct both internally and externally.
- The ability to coach and mentor team members and others to achieve personal and team goals.
- Excellent report writing skills and experience in creating annual reports.
- Has a “can do” attitude, is methodical in their approach and can demonstrate results.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Has a real passion to drive sustainability throughout the business.