Colt Data Centre Services (DCS), a UK-headquartered global data centre operator with 15 operational sites spanning Europe, India, and Japan, is committed to a sustainable future. With significant capital investment in new sites, we anticipate reaching close to a 1 Gigawatt operation by 2030.
As energy’s importance grows in sophistication and complexity, Colt DCS sees sustainability and carbon management as strategic drivers. This role is pivotal in differentiating Colt and positioning it as a preferred partner for growth-focused customers with robust sustainability commitments.
As Head of Energy, Carbon and Sustainability Programs you will play a leading role in driving transformation programs of real change, to steer Colt towards Carbon neutrality, secure energy supplies, managing energy price volatility and driving change to make Colt more sustainable, and also to make the business more energy efficient. Areas of responsibility are likely to include, but not be limited to:
Energy and Carbon
- The role will develop and drive the strategy for the collection and processing of energy and carbon data collection specific to Data Centres and in conjunction with 3rd party suppliers, keeping on top of new and existing energy and carbon related data regulations in the UK and EU.
- The role helps to shape and execute the right electricity trading strategy for Colt DCS and their key hyperscale customers in the UK & EU.
- This role also owns and delivers key Energy supply contracts. Though you will be supported by procurement, as a subject matter expert we would expect you to support your Global Director in owning and leading this on behalf of Colt DCS
- Driving energy efficiency and PUE improvement strategies is a key function of your role. You will help the Colt DCS business shape business cases, and drive the implementation of new technologies, as and when commercially viable. You should be able to research the market for new technologies that can transform and modernise selected DCS sites in a commercially sound way.
- Delivering and supporting key compliance programs within the Energy domain, ensuring that you are manging the reputation of Colt DCS. This line of work may require key engagement with supporting NGO’s such as Tech UK or the EU Data Centre Association
- Own the delivery, implementation and operation of the Colt DCS Board sponsored transformation as it relates to our strategy for Sustainability and Carbon transformation. This includes ensuring Colt DCS meets its commitments on delivery of Science based carbon targets in line with all external and internal commitments
- Assisting the Director of Energy and Sustainability in strategically shaping and then operationalising new key programs of change in support of Colt’s new global sustainability vision
- Manage a key network of internal operational teams and working groups to co-ordinate Colt Technology Services on going Sustainability transformation, and ensure clear co-ordination of Colt’s various workstreams
- The role may require advising senior leaders, at VP and potentially CEO level, on key emerging environmental risks and other future policy or regulatory changes as they affect Colt DCS
- Oversee Colt DCS key external reporting, ensuring that Colt DCS is benchmarked among its leading peer groups participants
Skills & Qualifications
- Exceptional Sustainability / Environmental credentials with evidence of impact on Sustainability transformation and / or exceptional energy industry credentials and experience of the energy supply and utility supply markets.
- Demonstrable experience in building high quality data and reporting processes to identify and share best practice.
- Previous experience in either an environmental science or sustainability discipline OR in energy / engineering would be an advantage.
- Experience and a deep knowledge and passion for promoting energy / carbon / sustainability in its broadest sense.
- Knowledge of the regulatory/statutory requirements and the best practice in energy and environmental change.
- You will be commercial astute with a broad business understanding, and the gravitas and presence to engage effectively across senior management teams to support widespread change.
- You will understand which KPIs to introduce to the business, and how to monitor and measure its performance against these targets.
- Strong commercial understanding of implementing strategy(s) relative to business and shareholder expectations.
- Stakeholder Management and comfortable working with C-level Key Stakeholders across geographies.
- Culturally aware and astute working in a diverse environment.
- Deals effectively with ambiguity.
What we offer
Colt DCS is a growing business that is investing in its people. Our people are defined by their ability to make things happen and deliver on their promises. We offer skill development, learning pathways and accreditation to help our people perform at their best, regardless of role and location.
In addition to offering competitive salaries and incentive plans, a range of benefits and local rewards packages are offered to staff. Colt DCS recognises the importance of a work life balance.
Some benefit examples are:
- Pension and insurance options
- Access to a virtual business school for on-going learning
- Business mentoring
- Discounts with local hospitality and retail providers
- Flexible working and relaxed dress code
- Two days annually to spend on volunteering opportunities