Are you looking to start your career after your studies? Our Early Careers programme gives you the opportunity to challenge yourself and be part of the solution to make the world work better.
The Early Careers programme we offer has been carefully developed by the business so that you will become the best professional you can be. We want to bring out the best of your abilities whilst giving you a deep insight into the world of Infrastructure Engineering so then you can be the catalyst for change.
You’ll learn. You’ll gain skills. You’ll explore our business and our sectors having real control over where you go and what you experience next. And you’ll do it all as part of a busy community of Apprentices, Year in Industry students and Graduates.
What you can expect from the Early Careers Programme at Balfour Beatty
As an Environmental & Sustainability Graduate, you will be supported throughout the Early Careers Programme. You will join a two year multi-touch point programme where the focus is all about Leading Self. This will set the foundations and provide essential skills for you to build the best version of yourself. The programme includes:
- Residential and online training
- Technical & personal skills
- Support towards professional development such as chartership
- Voluntary social value projects
- Experiential learning by doing
- A professional role within one of our respective business areas
- As a permanent employee of Balfour Beatty, you will be entitled to our full suite of benefits
As an Environmental & Sustainability Graduate, you’ll grow your technical and leadership skills and start your journey towards becoming an industry expert over two years. You’ll enjoy wide exposure and gain increased responsibility. You’ll work with experts across every area of our industry.
- Assist with the development of Environmental Management Plans
- Data collection and management associated with environmental Key Performance Indicators and assisting with monthly environmental reporting
- Assist with and undertake Environmental Advisory Visits, Inspections and Audits where required of operational sites to monitor compliance with the environmental licenses for the works and environmental plans and procedures
- Implement follow-up corrective actions to ensure compliance with UK regulations and legislation;
- Assist in the investigation of accidents, incidents, dangerous occurrences, near misses and other incidents as directed
- Assist Operations Team and Supervisory Staff in undertaking project related Work Package Plans method statements and risk assessments in line with Balfour Beatty requirements
- Assisting with the development of emergency and safety procedures and training of staff as required;
- Research Environmental Issues and best practices and help to apply them to operational activities
What we expect from you:
- A minimum 2:2 in an Environmental Degree or related subject
- Awareness of key UK legislation and policies
- Knowledge of wider environmental and carbon management and sustainability issues
- Very high competence in the use of IT, including Word and Excel
- A flexible approach to work and able to adapt to change
- A driven, self-motivated attitude, with the ability to work on your own initiative and influence decision making
- Hold a full UK Driving Licence by the time of joining
- Eligible to work and live in the UK by the time of joining
Our recruitment journey
To ensure you feel prepared and informed at each stage of our recruitment journey, we wanted to share with you our three key stages;
Stage one: getting to know you
We are curious as to how you think and respond in certain situations, your natural preferences, the way you navigate environments and how you interact with others.
To help us explore this, we will be asking you to complete a short questionnaire which looks at behaviours, preferences, and experiences in relation to different aspects of your working/professional life.
Stage two: One way video Interview
This next stage is a one-way video interview where you will be asked three questions virtually either via sound or in written form. Instead of responding to a person, we would like you to use your computer, mobile or tablets camera to record and submit your answers.
There is no preparation required for this part of the process and for assurance, all video interviews are reviewed by our amazing Early Careers recruitment team who are all humans.
Stage three: In-person or online interview
This is the final stage of our recruitment journey and is where we get to meet you in person, either in one of our offices, or online via Teams.
For us the most exciting part as we love hearing all about you. We also want to ensure you are getting the most out of your recruitment journey, so it’s important you are curious and ask us questions too!
We are more than construction. Every day, our projects change the way the world looks and improve the way it works. And because we do more, you will too! So don’t hesitate, our application window is open until midnight on 3rd March 2024. If you think you can make a difference here at Balfour Beatty then apply today!
To hear more about our programme, click here
At Balfour Beatty we believe that diversity and inclusion are essential components of any successful, happy workplace. Through our Value Everyone D&I Strategy and Action Plan, we are growing our diverse workforce and developing our inclusive culture where everyone can be themselves and reach their full potential. Our Smart Working policy enables employees to work flexibly where operationally possible and we would be happy to explore this with you.
To find out more about our Value Everyone D&I Strategy and Action Plan, visit our website at https://www.balfourbeatty.com/how-we-work/diversity-and-inclusion/
As a Disability Confident Employer, we are committed to working with disabled people and people with long-term health conditions, to remove barriers for them in obtaining employment. We are also committed to offering applicants with a disability an interview if they meet the minimum requirements for the role.
Further information about Disability Confident can be found at https://disabilityconfident.campaign.gov.uk/