Caledonian Sleeper is an iconic brand with a heritage stretching back a century and a half to the early years of Scotland-London sleepers.
Part of an exclusive club, Caledonian Sleeper is one of only two sleeper trains in the UK, and we like to think it is the most scenic! Whisking guests from the bright lights of London through the night to the iconic cities of Aberdeen, Edinburgh, Inverness, and Glasgow or to the jaw dropping scenery of the west Highlands of Scotland around Fort William. We are proud to serve the UK’s most remote railway station too, Corrour.
Caledonian Sleeper sets new standards in overnight rail travel, offering a choice of affordable seats, private guestrooms, some with en-suites and double beds, as well as our much-loved Club Car to around 200,000 guests per year.
Caledonian Sleeper Limited (CSL) is recruiting for an Environmental, Sustainability & Social Governance Manager to join the HSSQE Team to be based on a hybrid basis from our Glasgow offices.
Reporting to the Head of HSSQE this role will drive the development and delivery of CSL’s Environmental, Sustainability, and Governance strategies to meet the legal, regulatory and social requirements. This role requires working across CSL, our Contractors and stakeholders, building a culture of sustainability innovation and implementation. Continuous improvement will be a key theme of this role and the role holder will be required to consider both internal and external factors which will shape and improve a sustainable strategy across the business. The role will ensure that there is robust oversight and management of all policies, process and procedures that contribute to a positive, sustainable environmental and social governance culture.
The post holder will be responsible for developing robust plans to enable the sustainable delivery of the CSL ESSG strategy and assure compliance with environmental legislation and relevant standards (such as ISO 14001 and ISO 50001) applicable to all activities within the company. This will be working closely with all functions across the CSL organisation to ensure that we are meeting our strategic ESSG commitments. The post holder will work with our Learning and Development department to deliver training and education to all colleagues within the business to enable them to understand the impact they as individuals and functional departments can have and are able to develop departmental ESG plans.
The post holder will also work closely with CSL suppliers to ensure that CSL aims and objectives for ESSG are considered within their own and environmental strategies, influencing, and collaborating with CSL suppliers as and when required. Also, key is improving our data management and analysis processes, such that we understand better our environmental impact and can manage it more efficiently going forward. This role will support the Head of HSSQE to ensure compliance with all applicable energy, carbon and environmental legislation and industry standards.
- Develop and manage CSL ESSG strategy.
- Lead CSL to achieve accreditation to ISO 14001 and ISO 50001.
- Develop Manage CSL ESSG Management Systems.
- Manage legal compliance, environment incidents and develop processes and procedures across the business to control risks and opportunities and continually improve sustainability performance
- Develop and manage the environmental and sustainability audit process, to incorporate our internal compliance and that of CSL key suppliers.
- Manage and develop our social governance commitments and work closely with the communities served by the CSL operation.
- Support compliance and performance development in waste management proposals collaborating with and advising CSL functions to develop and implement credible suggestions.
- Identify and support the L&D department to develop the EESG training requirements and engagement programmes.
- Produce report material on biodiversity, auditing, environmental incidents, management system development and waste management in line with our Committed Obligations.
- Collaborate with our key suppliers on environmental strategy and implementation of their plans, influencing.
- Benchmark against similar rail organisations and the wider macro environment adopting best practice when possible.
- Support CSL Procurement Team in the development of a Sustainable Procurement strategy.
- Promote a culture of continual improvement within the team and the wider business.
What you’ll need to do the role:
- Knowledge of ISO 14001 and ISO5001
- Knowledge of the legal framework by which CSL environmental and sustainability performance is governed
- Knowledge of biodiversity and ecology
- Knowledge of waste management and the application of the waste hierarchy
- Ability to project manage tasks from inception to completion
- Skilled at using MS Office, particularly Word, Excel, and PowerPoint
- Knowledge and understanding of emerging environmental issues
- Degree or equivalent in environmental discipline, Associate or Practitioner membership of IEMA or qualifications leading to this
- Carry out continuing professional development activities in line with the above
- Knowledge of Environmental auditing techniques- desirable
What we offer:
- 25 days annual leave
- Opportunity to join the Railway final salary pension scheme
- Allocation of complimentary tickets for Caledonian Sleeper each year
- Complimentary Scotland wide rail travel with ScotRail for the employee and qualifying family members.
How to apply
Please click on the apply link here: https://career2.successfactors.eu/careers?company=SercoGroup to complete your application. Occasionally we receive a large volume of applications for our roles and when that happens, we sometimes bring the closing date forward, so please apply promptly to avoid disappointment.
At Caledonian Sleeper Limited we are committed to building a diverse and inclusive organisation that supports the needs of all and matches the diverse profile of our guests. As such we will make reasonable adjustments at interview through to employment for our candidates and strongly encourage applications from all if you feel you match the skill requirements of the role.
We are open to discussions around flexibility and flexible working. Disabled applicants who meet the minimum criteria for the job will be given the opportunity to demonstrate their abilities at an interview.