The role also leads the Environment & Sustainability Enabling Function (EF), which in turn is responsible for leading and managing project-wide aspects of Environment & Sustainability. It also functionally supports the management of Environment & Sustainability in the delivery teams and provides and maintains the relevant framework of processes and governance, ensuring SCS act and deliver in accordance with the requirements of the relevant legislation, the contract, the Works Information and parent company obligations.
The role forms part of the Senior Leadership Team (SLT) for SCS and as such is collectively responsible for the successful delivery of the overall programme of works and the success of the Integrated Project Team (IPT). The role reports to the Technical Services Director and is also part of the Technical Services Leadership Team.
Skillset: Leadership & Strategic delivery in a matrix structure, Environment & Sustainability Management, Environmental Consenting & stakeholder management, Contract management & Commercial acumen.
- Environmental Technical Lead
- Environmental Assurance Lead
- Sustainability & Carbon Lead
Flexible working: We welcome you to ask about the flexibility you need. This might be part-time, remote working, or compressed hours for example. Anyone who applies for a role can ask about flexibility at interview. In return, we will explore what is possible for the role.
- Provide the strategic leadership on all aspects of environmental sustainability. Drive awareness for and delivery against contract targets, including reducing Carbon and whole life impacts, and striving to achieve no-net loss in biodiversity and CEEQUAL Excellent rating. Maintain innovation awareness to continuously seek ways to maintain an industry-leading contract.
- Provide operational and functional management advice to the design and construction team on the practical implementation of contract policies and processes. Provide assurance to senior management team, understanding and communicating all key risks and relevant information as necessary to ensure sound environmental management across the programme.
- Oversee the provision of all Environmental specialists including procurement and sub-contract management, managing performance and budgets. Provide specialist support to the commercial team for any scope changes, early warnings or other formal communications required with the client on environment and sustainability matters.
- Lead the Environment & Sustainability Team functionally across the Project. Manage the development and structure of this team to ensure that the ongoing needs of the Contract and individuals are met.
- Accountable for creation of an effective collaborative culture across the EF and the delivery teams and for promoting the same culture with other Contractors, 3rd Party Stakeholders and across HS2
- Maintain the Environmental Management System, certified to ISO 14001:2015, ensuring it remains appropriate to all contract risks and legal compliance at a minimum (incl. the HS2 Act and associated Environmental Minimum requirements). Monitor and report performance against targets and drive innovation and continuous improvement throughout the contract team.
- Liaise with parent company Environment and Sustainability teams
- Represent and promote SCS externally on Environment and Sustainability
The Ideal Candidate
- Demonstrates an unwavering passion for the Environment and Sustainability, driving innovation and an ability to positively influence and develop those around them.
- Significant environmental and sustainability management experience in the construction industry on large infrastructure projects or equivalent, comparable industry/projects.
- Strong demonstrable leadership skills essential, with experience managing a large, multi-disciplinary team preferably within a matrix structure. Able to communicate as part of the senior management team, influencing and driving change as required.
- Strategic-minded with excellent organisation, communication and time management skills. Project management and commercial/contract management experience required.
- Chartered Environmentalist, Full Member of the Institute of Environmental Management and Assessment (IEMA) or equivalent and registered Environmental Auditor (required but with extensive EMS and audit experience can be acquired once in post).