The Environment Compliance Manager is responsible for the development and improvement of environmental compliance across all waste management operations, particularly in relation to environmental permits and compliance with relevant directly applicable legislation. You will have input into the implementation and communication of the Group Environment Strategy to the business, support and training to operating divisions and regular performance reporting.
Your core responsibilities:
- Support the assessment and management of compliance across the Group, including assisting with the rollout and implementation of the Group Environment Strategy to improve legal performance.
- Support on the provision of detailed specialist environmental legal and technical advice, guidance and analysis across the business in relation to current operations and compliance issues.
- Develop, update and review Group and divisional procedures and guidance to drive best practice and ensure legal compliance.
- Assist in the production and deliverance of training packages where required across the group to ensure an understanding of all areas of environmental risk, compliance and associated legislation is maintained.
- Produce bespoke audit programs to ensure strategies outlined in the Group Environmental Compliance Strategy are being complied with, executed and reported to relevant senior management levels ensuring ongoing compliance with the group’s environmental permits and management plans.
- Manage and check environmental compliance statistics to ensure data is robust, produce reports on this data and communicate the findings across the Group.
- Review operational tasks across the Group to prevent non compliances, assessing legislation and developing compliant processes by providing the correct level of guidance and coaching to allow operational staff to operate compliantly.
- Liaise with Environmental Regulators over compliance issues, incident management, investigations and enforcement action.
Our essential requirements
- Bachelor Degree level or higher in Environmental management, waste management or similar, relevant subject
- Hands-on experience of working in an environmental management role in a waste management context, including dealing with environmental regulatory bodies and incident investigation
- In-depth knowledge and understanding of current and proposed environmental and regulatory legislation
- In-depth knowledge of different types of waste management activity and techniques
Biffa Waste Services does not discriminate on the basis of race, sex, colour, religion, age, national origin, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or any other reason prohibited by law in provision of employment opportunities and benefits.