The Climate Reporting Specialist is a newly created position. Reporting into the Head of Accounting but with a dotted line into Head Office, this role will be responsible for working on behalf of Glencore UK to work primarily on our Emissions systems / legislation, focussing on Environmental, Social & Corporate Governance (“ESG”) disclosure and strategy including the financial statement reporting requirements of the Task Force on Climate-related Financial Disclosures (“TCFD”).
This role requires a professional within a commodity, natural resource and or professional services setting. The individual will have a firm understanding of climate related disclosures requirements and ideally also emission trading schemes and carbon pricing mechanisms as well as wider legislations.
- Support the collection, analysis, and interpretation of carbon emissions data from trading activities, transportation networks, and associated supply chains. Utilize relevant methodologies and emission factors to calculate greenhouse gas (GHG) emissions.
- Regulatory Compliance: Stay updated on international, regional, and local regulations related to carbon emissions and ensure compliance with reporting requirements and emissions trading schemes from a commodity trading perspective.
- Market Research: Monitor and evaluate market trends, policies, and initiatives related to carbon accounting, carbon pricing and other relevant mechanisms. Provide insights into the potential impacts of carbon-related regulations on commodity markets and trading strategies.
- Risk Assessment: Evaluate climate-related risks associated with commodity trading, such as physical risks (e.g., extreme weather events) and transitional risks (e.g., carbon pricing). Assess the potential financial implications of these risks on commodity portfolios.
- Sustainability Strategies: Collaborate with traders, risk management teams, and sustainability experts to develop and implement sustainability strategies that mitigate carbon emissions, enhance environmental performance, and align with corporate sustainability goals.
Qualifications & Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in a science, politics, environmental science, sustainability, economics, or a related field (Master’s degree preferred).
- Knowledge of carbon emissions, greenhouse gas accounting, and environmental sustainability principles within the context of commodity trading.
- Familiarity with emissions trading schemes (e.g., EU ETS, RGGI) and carbon pricing mechanisms (e.g. CBAM).
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to analyse large datasets, interpret complex information, and provide actionable insights.
- Knowledge of ESG frameworks and reporting standards (e.g. IFRS Sustainability Disclosure Standards, TCFD, GHG Protocol etc).
- Advanced communication and presentation skills, with the ability to convey technical information to both technical and non-technical stakeholders.
- Ability to work collaboratively in cross-functional teams.
- High attention to detail and ability to work under tight deadlines and in a fast-paced trading environment.
- Proficiency in data visualization tools and programming languages (e.g., Excel, Power BI, R) is desirable.
- Given the reporting requirements, experience of financial reporting controls, processes & principles would be advantageous.