Hours per Week: 37
Contract Type: Permanent
Salary: £50,990 – £54,683 per annum
Come and join our passionate and talented environment team.
Gloucestershire County Council declared a climate emergency in 2019 and have been working hard to reduce emissions within the council and across the county. Our success is based on our partnership work, with districts and other stakeholders and our delivery of coordinated engagement programmes, addressing climate change and environmental issues.
We are making great progress delivering the council’s climate change strategy and are now looking to expand our team, bringing additional management expertise to lead our engagement programmes at a strategic level and oversee the work of our sustainability and engagement specialists.
You will be joining us at an exciting time, with your work being critical to progressing a wide range of activities to deliver our climate ambitions, both internally across the council and with external partners, for a Greener Gloucestershire.
As a member of our senior leadership team, you will play a pivotal role in building and nurturing relationships, leading collaborative engagement, advocacy and clear communications, in partnership with a wide range of both internal and external stakeholders. You will a have strong relationship management skills, able to quickly build rapport at all levels in the council.
Your track record of leading focused teams and your exceptional team management skills will contribute to fostering a positive and collaborative work environment. Most importantly you will be knowledgeable about the climate crisis and can enthuse and influence others to drive change.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A relevant degree or equivalent qualification or equivalent level of professional experience in environmental engagement and campaigning
- Demonstrable experience of delivering successful development and/or change programmes
- Demonstrable experience of managing multi-disciplinary teams
- Experience of working in partnership and of leading partnership boards and/or project teams
- Experience of managing budgets
- Experience of commissioning and managing external suppliers
- Experience of monitoring and evaluating programmes and campaigns
- Experience of working with local communities and community sector organisations
- Current knowledge and understanding of principles and practice of behaviour change and social marketing
- Strategic thinker, able to engage with government, senior managers, elected members and stakeholders
- Organisational skills to conceive, develop and deliver multi-agency campaigns on time and to quality requirements
- Excellent written and oral communication
- Knowledge of waste, environmental and sustainability issues, and a grasp of the current and future challenges these present
- Ability to lead a team and chair partnership boards, project teams and meetings
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to develop, measure and interpret performance information
- Financial acumen with an ability to raise funds, manage budgets and maximise benefits from funding decisions
- Creativity, with an ability to develop engaging content for communication campaigns
- Ability to enthuse, achieve buy in and drive change
For all your hard work, you will receive the following:
- Flexible and agile working opportunities
- 25.5 days annual leave rising to 30.5 days after 5 years continuous service
- An option to purchase 10 days of additional leave per year (pro rata for part-time staff)
- Family friendly employer offering benefits to help support you and your family
- Career development and qualification opportunities
- Supportive and positive working environment with regular, robust supervision
- Local Government Pension Scheme (LGPS)
- Access to our Employee Assistance Programme (EAP) that provides free, confidential, counselling and advice for employees, available 24 hours a day, online and by telephone.
- An in-house Occupational Health service
- Employee discount scheme
- Cycle to Work scheme
- Gloucestershire Salary Sacrifice Green Car Scheme (T&Cs apply)
- Links to employee networks such as Prism (LGBT+) network and the Young Employees Network.
How to apply
If you feel you have the skills, desire and experience required to make a positive difference then please submit your application and personal statement today on our website.
For an informal discussion about the role please contact Sarah Danson via email at Sarah.Danson@gloucestershire.gov.uk
Closing date 12th February 2024.
Short-listed candidates will be contacted by e-mail and invited to interview week commencing 26th February 2024.
We encourage and welcome applications from people from ALL backgrounds and protected characteristics; applicants will be considered for employment without regard to their race, colour, religion or belief, age, nationality, ethnicity, gender (including pregnancy, childbirth, or other related medical conditions, paternity or adoption), gender identity, gender expression, sexual orientation, marital status, disability or caring responsibilities.
As a Disability Confident employer, we will guarantee an interview for disabled applicants who meet the essential criteria for the job. Where the evidence shows that ‘protected characteristics’ are under represented in a profession or service, the Council may take ‘positive action’ to encourage applications for jobs to address this.