BDP is a continuous collective of architects, engineers, designers and urbanists. We design at every scale from city masterplans, neighbourhoods, parks, streets and buildings to specialist, bespoke light and acoustic installations.
We are placemakers who work at every stage of the design process from visioning to briefing to design, delivery and operation. We respond to the demands of our dynamic and ever-changing planet with cross-discipline design thinking that spans all of life’s activities, protects the environment and enhances social value.
Harnessing our collective ethos, the spirit of BDP is about making places for people. Our structure and governance as a global network of federated city studios creates design hubs that are connected to the cities, regions and communities they serve.
As part of the Nippon Koei Group, we fuse our passion for architecture and engineering with user-centred design and large-scale infrastructure projects to deliver world-class solutions for better, more prosperous places.
As part of the larger organisation, the Sustainability Group provides a wide range of services across building design to both the internal and external client. Our current suite of services includes (but is not limited to):
- Thought leadership, research and development
- Well-being consultancy
- Whole Life / Net Zero Carbon consultancy
- Environmental assessments, including BREEAM, LEED and WELL
- Ecological assessment and consultancy
- Post-occupancy evaluation and building optimisation
- Knowledge sharing and training
- Environmental / Energy management system support
We are seeking a professional to join BDP’s growing sustainability profession, with the unique opportunity to work on the Restoration and Renewal of a world known historic building. With a demanding brief to transform this iconic building into a fit for purpose, sustainable workplace and public building, you will need to apply your creative engineering skills to unlock solutions and shape the design. The successful candidate will have several years’ experience of providing built-environment related consultancy and will possess a comprehensive understanding of the environmental policy and legislative landscape, and demonstrable evidence of delivering sustainability-related outcomes on completed projects. The successful candidate will join a growing team of specialist consultants working across all areas of the built environment. They will be experienced in business development alongside supporting the delivery of high-quality design focussed output across a range of sectors. They will have experience of the planning, design and construction industries (and associated processes) in the UK and possess excellent verbal and written communication skills, resulting in the ability to articulate complex ideas and concepts effectively with interdisciplinary teams. They will be capable of multi-tasking supported by exemplary organisational skills. Their expertise should be borne from an enthusiasm for environmental sustainability, through the practical implementation of reducing the impact of the built environment by developing and implementing strategies that support environmental, social and economic sustainability at local, national and global levels. They will truly enjoy their work, maintaining a keen interest in the fast-paced agenda, and will be driven to develop the role and make a positive contribution to projects by advocating change.
- A formal qualification in a sustainability/environmental management/built environment subject
- Several years of relevant experience working in the field of sustainability, with specific experience of sustainability design consultancy
- The ability to take responsibility in leading and delivering projects, coordinating and managing input from more junior members of the team
- Demonstrable evidence of developing sustainable design strategies in a built environment context
- Experience in financial management, including forecasting and resourcing
- Experience in work winning and business development
The drive to build capacity and expertise within the team and wider practice
- Confidence in preparing and delivering presentations to a wide range of internal and external stakeholders
- Chartership with a relevant industry body
- Exemplary written and spoken English, with experience of technical report writing
- Due to the nature of the project, the successful candidate would be required to undergo a security clearance process and therefore you will be required to have at least 3 years UK residency within the last 5 years. We will also need to confirm your employment/educational history over the last 3 years in order to qualify
In return, BDP offers an excellent opportunity for your personal development as well as an attractive remuneration package that includes a competitive salary, flexible pension allowance, private medical insurance, profit shares, contribution towards professional subscriptions and a great working environment.
BDP is actively fostering an inclusive organization where people can be themselves and everyone has a sense of belonging. We want our teams to be diverse at every level, reflecting the communities we design for. As designers, we will create spaces for all that promote equity, wellbeing, and participation within the built environment. We actively encourage people from a variety of backgrounds with different skills, professional and life experiences, to join us and help us to achieve our aspirations. We also welcome applications from candidates who wish to work flexibly. BDP is an equal opportunity employer.